Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why TV Characters are Getting Older

Oh gee, here's a shocker: television audiences are getting older.  Yesterday's 3/9/11 Wall Street Journal called it "Television's Senior Moment," noting that "as audiences get older, so do the characters - and the ads cost more."  Hmm, costlier ads?  That is news.

As reporter Amy Chosick puts it: "For decades the TV industry has operated on a currency of youth, creating shows that appeal to 18-49 year olds, the age group advertisers traditionally consider most likely to buy new products, switch brands and spend on everything from cars to soft drinks."  But boomers themselves planted that idea back in the 1960s when they flocked to shows like Charlie's Angels and Hawaii 5-0.

And boomers, it turns out, are not following the behavior patterns of their parents (have they ever?) who were winding down their spending at 55.  Boomers are buying IPads and second homes, splurging on vacations and postponing retirement.  What is more, boomers grew up on television and watch it 5-6 hours a day, compared to an average of 4 hours and 49 minutes for TV audiences as a whole. They make up the majority of viewers for shows like NCIS and The Good Wife.

So now the word is that producers and advertisers are falling all over themselves to put more older characters into TV shows and commercials.  We have 66-year-old Tom Selleck leading Blue Bloods, 62-year-old Kathy Bates being tapped for Harry's Law and 89-year-old Betty White starring in Hot in Cleveland on MTV's TV Land.  It's being called a "Tsunami."

Oh, how delicious.

Now maybe local producers will stop looking at me aghast that I'm not wearing sneakers and a baggy sweater, and I don't have my gray hair in a bun!

Anyway, an article worth reading.

2 comments:

  1. I love "Harry's Law" and I watch a lot of television and I'm older...I think "The Good Wife" is an excellent show. When they were getting ready to start the first season I remember thinking to myself how they could have a decent show about a politician who cheats on his wife. Sounded like a very bad soap opera. But I loved it from the first show and the characters, the winding story, all of it is very good, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen The Good Wife yet, but I keep hearing good things about it. Must try to catch an episode. Kay

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!