Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Listen to Your Voice


I was in a mobile phone store this week (do we really have to say “mobile” anymore?) and happened to mention to the sales clerk that I was an actress.  He told me he was very interested in getting into acting as well and said, “So, what does it take?  Do you just need to know someone?” 

Ah, the age of instant gratification.

I guess it helps if you happen to be good friends with, or related to, someone already well-known in the business.  But that just opens a door; you still have to be able to deliver a credible performance.  That takes training, desire, intense focus, a little bit of luck, and a whole lot of practice. 

Practice that’s ongoing, even with something as simple as speaking.  One of the things I had to overcome in starting out was getting used to the sound of my own voice.  (You laugh?) People seldom pay attention to their own voice in speaking to others and we certainly don’t think about projecting our voice and the emphasis we put on words when we speak.  As a result, when we’re put on the spot in an audition or performance we end up sounding like we’re “acting” instead of that naturalness we’re trying to achieve. 

Drama coaches often tell you to listen to how other people talk, and there’s value in that in developing a character.  But the first step in acting is really listening to yourself and then developing ways to “warm up” your voice before performing so that your pipes are clear and your diction is what you want it to be. 

You can do voice exercises,  of course, but something I’ve found useful and do on a regular basis is simply to do a dramatic reading of the morning newspaper.  It’s readily at hand.  It’s a “cold read” every day, so I don’t get tired of the text.  I can pick it up and walk around with it.  I can practice projecting my voice while I’m reading and try emphasizing different words.  I can practice looking up from the page, which helps during auditions. 

I also try being more animated, not only in how I say the words but in how I behave when I say them.  The interesting result is that I’m becoming naturally more animated when making general conversation and – I hope – a more engaging person.  Less English/German, more French/Italian.  And that’s helping my overall performance.  

Last week I had a very small role (very small) in a commercial produced by Weaselworks, a New York-based production company.  Very nice people and real pros.  The day I was on set went like clockwork and the footage looked terrific.  This week I’m doing voiceover work for conference videos and a VO audition for a national commercial.   But the week feels slow. 

I want things to move fast.  I must be channeling spring.

2 comments:

  1. The first time I listened to myself speaking and singing, I didn't think it sounded anything like me. I, of course, had always heard my voice coming from inside. I'm a singer. Studied classical singing in Italy for sometime. Sang with the Miami Opera in Miami, Florida for many years. Belonged to a folk group in the 60's. Traveled in Europe with a variety show..USO..and now am still teaching. I was surprised to hear my accent (which is slightly "hillbilly") when I learned to sing in different languages. This was all in years past. I actually found that listening to myself sing was not a good idea for me. I learned that by feeling where my tone is became my best form of producing the perfect tones for which I struggled. I love reading your blog. Will look on Facebook and add you to my Twitter account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very interesting point. I had difficulty getting my volume up initially because my voice - at least to me - sounded quite loud. I rely on headphones when I do voiceovers because it's reassuring to hear if I'm coming through clearly. Reading the newspaper - not recording my voice, but just speaking out loud - is probably more akin to practicing a piece of music. But I may have a go at voiceovers without the headphones and see what I produce. I like what you say about "feeling" the tone. I can hear the joy in that. Kay

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!