Thursday, April 18, 2013

Finding an agent

I've spent the past three years building experience and accumulating footage that gives me enough face time to show some of what I can do as an actor (I can do more obviously.)  Since my primary goal is to act in films rather than commercials, industrials, etc (although I'm always happy to get work anywhere),
a logical next step it seems to me is landing significant speaking roles in small features ($500K to $5M budget range).  To that end, gaining representation through a talent agency may give me a leg up.  In fact, I'm sure it will.

Interestingly, Backstage magazine has an article this week by Dallas Travers that addresses just this issue. You can see the full article here, but these are the salient points:

1. Stay focused and call repeatedly. Don’t assume that one mass mailing to a target list of agents will be successful. Instead, contact the agencies on your list a minimum of three times within six weeks to be sure your message has been received, but expect that more calls may be needed to secure a meeting. Be sure you've researched your agencies and have narrowed your list to no more than 10-15 agents at a time. Marketing to a list longer than that might deplete your resources and create confusion.

2. Ask for Industry Referrals. But don't just say “Can you refer me to an agent?” Research your target list (being sure they have agents who represent actors at your age/gender/skill level) and then run that list by fellow actors, drama teachers, producers you’ve worked for, casting directors who call you in often, etc. and tell them that you’d like to get their feedback. Ask questions such as, “Do you know anyone on my list?” or “Is there anyone else you know who I should reach out to?”  That makes it clear that you are doing the legwork and takes the pressure off of anyone who may feel uncomfortable about referring you.  You are, after all, just asking for feedback.

3. Go for the low cost/no cost marketing options.  Don't try to wow them with gimmickry. Make an impact without wasting money by relying on email marketing, social media, telephone calls, or even drop offs. These avenues can be effective while remaining easy on your budget.

As Travers points out, "when you have a well-connected, hardworking agent on your side, auditions come a lot easier and more often."  She also states that spring is a good time to seek representation, so I'm on the right track.

I've already reached out to a list by email and letter.  Phone calls are next.  I'm also going to follow her advice and ask for more feedback from people I know in the business.  I really feel like I'm doing everything I possibly can to land work on my own. It's time now to get some assistance.  I would tend to question the need for repeated phone calls, however.  Contacting an agency three times doesn't seem excessive, but if I had to call more than that - 10 times - I think I might question the agency's effectiveness and ability to take on another actor.

Here's what I've done so far:

I contacted the agencies by email prior to sending an agency specific letter with my resume and headshots.  In both the email and the letter, I outlined my type, gave them links to the work I am most proud of, and made reference to referrals or connections we had in common.  I asked to meet with them.  For those agencies that haven't yet responded, the next step will be to call.

Here's what I plan to do when I get a meeting:

Bring extra resumes and headshots. Dress in a way that reflects my type. Keep the conversation sociable and have a list of positive attributes I want to convey.  Have a list of questions pertinent to gaining representation.  Find a point on which to follow up.

Keeping my fingers crossed that I find an agent that's a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!