Saturday, January 8, 2011

Don't Forget to Promote Your Work

Up half the night engaging in what is called "search engine optimization." On every website where I'm listed, my profile got an overhaul, with content revisions and more tags to make sure casting directors can locate my information. I'm uploading new headshots in the next day or two.  Then everything gets resubmitted to the search engines.

The business side of acting isn't as exciting as working in front of a camera or an audience, but it can be as important to your career.  There are so many tools available now to help get your name and face in front of casting directors and yet it's surprising how many actors neglect to take advantage of what is available. They'll spend thousands of dollars on classes and workshops, but fail to create a website or put up a headshot and résumé at Actors Access or IMDbPro. I've worked with several very talented actors over the past year that I couldn't locate on the Web once we were finished shooting the film. How can they be so capable and not leave a better record on the Internet? That's missed opportunity.

I've also been watching web series this past week and making a list of some of the top shows produced locally. There is some amazing original programming now being created for the Web - Murder Squad, Tyranny, Old Friends, The Bannen Way, Angel of Death, Downsized, and others. These have very high production values. Some are funny as hell! The plan is to put my new headshot and résumé in front of some of these talented writers, producers and directors. Web is the direction entertainment is headed. Get in now.

Late next week I'm up in New York to finally film my scenes for Pegasus I. Hope the weather holds. A week of work on the computer, then on to what I enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post. Look forward to getting your materials!!!
    http://markgantt.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, The Bannen Way is a great show and you are terrific in it! Congratulations on all of those well-deserved awards, including your Best Actor Streamy! Kay

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!