Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Academy Award Nominations Are In...and I'm Disappointed

The good news is that the Academy is again recognizing some very fine "small" films. The bad news (well...maybe disappointing to me is perhaps a better phrase) is that they're following the leader in over-praising The King's Speech. The Academy isn't always on target. (I seem to remember nine Academy Awards for The English Patient.) The King's Speech is a fine film certainly. But I thought The Social Network was a brilliant film, with a so-well-crafted-it's-worth-studying script.

Aaron Sorkin did get a nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay. I'm keeping a good thought.

3 comments:

  1. Haven't seen either one of them. I really do like Geoffrey Rush, however. I need to get several in this month if I want to really know what I think of the awards. I did see True Grit. Great performances by Bridges and Hailee Steinfeld, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of nominated films to see as well! Geoffrey Rush is one of my favorite character actors - Pirates of the Caribbean, Shakespeare in Love - and I thought he did a terrific job in The King's Speech. I liked the structure of The Social Network a little better though. The King's Speech was an inspiring tale, simple and straightforward. The Social Network had a lot of plot twists that kept me on the edge of my seat, but nothing that was extraneous or gimmicky. Aaron Sorkin is a skilled writer.

    I think there is a lot more for the Academy to be proud of in this year's nominees. Many more really good movies are being made than in past years, even though you still have to hunt them out in the art house theaters. I think filmmakers have gotten tired of the bloodbath/car crash formula and are beginning to drift back into plot- and character-driven films. (It's even creeping into television in series like Blue Bloods.) Let's hope the "drift" continues.

    And if you haven't seen Robert Duval in Get Low, I recommend it. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Duval is one of the very best! I will try to see his film. And I also watch Blue Bloods on television. I heard that The Social Network is very, very good. I enjoy reading your blog. I have a cousin in the acting and music world and a daughter who first thought to be an actress. She also loved to write, so ended up in television/journalism. She's never been the "talent" as she says, but always behind the scenes.

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!