Sunday, July 10, 2011

Looking for Headshot Photographers in New York?

I ran my current headshots by LA casting director Billy Damota a few weeks ago.  He said he thought they worked, but they were all of a type.  He thinks I need to also show something lighter and more appropriate for sitcoms, i.e me smiling and showing teeth.   So I've been casting about for a new photographer up in New York who can produce such a shot when I can finally work it into my budget.  Below is the list of those recommended by other actors.

Melissa Hamburg Photography
Hornstein Studios
David Morgan Photography
Sabrina Reeves Photography
Hoeberman Studio
Peter Hurley
Taylor Hooper Photography
Meredith Zinner Photography

These all looked good and many showed recognizable actors from film and television.  I particularly liked Zinner's tagline "Be You."

Actress Jennifer Emmaline advised that I narrow down possible selections by considering the following:

1. Does the photographer have enough experience dealing with actors older than 25 -- particularly female actors - that it's in their comfort zone?
2. Do they vary their poses/looks or do they seemed to have 2-3 default poses/looks (and, if the latter, is that pose/look the one I'm looking for and does it work for me?)
3. Are they able to shoot people with my complexion and coloring?

She then suggested I google each photographer on YouTube to see if they've been interviewed on tape.  (Some may also have audio or video interviews on their website.)  Getting a good shot depends a lot of whether you "click" with the photographer.  As she put it, "I was going to consult with one guy who is pretty famous, but just listening to him for five seconds made my teeth hurt."
Sounded like good advice.

Update 11/20/2011

I ultimately ended up going with Lev Gorn.  He gets the issue about capturing the eyes and was one of few that showed examples of older actors.  Also, he insists on a consultation before you come for the actual photography session to get an idea of what you're looking for. Terrific shots, well lit. Wish I'd gone with him to begin with.  New headshots will be posted in December.  Whew.


5 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this article.

    Thanks!
    Thomas Wilson

    Headshot photographers nyc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with the headshots. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Experience is always important and so is personality. A photographer with personality makes the whole experience worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks very true. It's also good when a photographer tries to understand what an actor is trying to project with those headshots. I've had headshots done several times since I wrote this piece and one of the biggest difficulties was convincing the photographer NOT to photoshop my face to make me look 20 years younger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Capture your best angle with New York's premier headshot photographer! Book now for stunning portraits that make a lasting impression. #Headshots #NYC"

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!