Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Editors...one of the hazards of the business

-->
Slowly easing back into the saddle after 3 months of near total focus on home repair and remodeling. Getting the manse in shape for an eventual (sooner than later, I hope) move to Los Angeles and, yes, it’s a nightmare. Fortunately, the activity has moved to the exterior, so I don’t have to spend my days wiping drywall dust off the furniture (plates, food, pets, etc.).

Came up for air in time to book a speaking role on a national TV series. I had two scenes in this same show last year only to lose them to editing and rewrites. (Bah!) It’s one of the hazards of acting. You struggle to get into a hit show, get all excited when you do, and then have your hopes dashed. Losing the whole scene isn’t the worst-case scenario, however. Some of my actor friends have landed speaking roles and then had just their lines cut. That means their character is reduced to "featured background" and they can’t get a different role on that same show for years.

I must say though that when I watched the episodes from which I was cut I had to agree with the editor. It’s a business. Nothing personal. 

An actor needs to have clear-cut goals to deal with such disappointments. It’s the biggest problem I see in actors starting out, regardless of when and at what age they start. They just want to act (because they love it) or make money at it (because they need to eat), so they’ll take any vehicle and any role. The result is that their focus is scattered in a dozen directions….commercials, re-enactments, stage, live promotions, drama, comedy, background, even print ads and runway modeling. 

I think an actor can be open to all of those things, but 90 percent of his or her effort should be on the acting they want most. For me it’s film and TV drama, so I’m focused on trying to improve my reel and credits, and assessing each role as to what it might add to the mix. (I don’t think an actor needs to do more than one zombie film, for example.)

Actors also need to be clear as to what they bring to the table. Most actors are typed, even big stars, so it’s important to know what your type is and to be able to express it in three words. Mine is “forceful, intelligent, pragmatic,” which offers up a wide range of meaty possibilities. Most of them are reserved for male actors unfortunately, but when I do get one I’m terrific.

So, slow progress, but progress. With this most recent booking I had to survive three levels of casting and then the director made the final choice (he picked me).  Now my "Senator" just needs to get past those editors…….

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!