Monday, January 20, 2014

Acting Tips: Working with Social Media

I saw an article at Backstage a few weeks ago (4 Sites You Need to Be on Now!) about using social media. I think it gives good general information, but I also think it misses the real purpose (and benefit) of social media for actors. It's not about the world looking at you (as in a fan page), it's about YOU building goodwill and relationships with those in the industry.

Many actors I know bypass FB fan pages, for example, and instead have two FB personal pages: one for family under their birth name and one for colleagues under their professional name. (Yes, FB doesn't like this, but if they enforced single pages for actors they'd be losing a LOT of big name stars.) Why is this important?  Because you can talk to family about politics and religion, but making such remarks to people in the business can cost you work and connections.

Examples: I recently found myself waiting in a studio side room with an up-and-coming actor who is currently starring in an action/thriller about to open in theaters. We exchanged smiles and nods and I later looked him up on FB with the thought of sending him a brief message and "friend" request. One look at his timeline convinced me not to: It was one long and terribly unpleasant political screed. (Ugh. I guess he only works for those with a certain political persuasion.) An actress who sent ME a "friend" request got passed on when I saw a lot of profanity in her postings, including frequent use of the "N" word.  (She was African-American.) My sense is that it's wise not to get too close to such people.

My FB page is limited to a small list of actors, producers, casting agents, and people who work on the production side. I read and comment on their postings a lot, looking for commonalities and opportunities to get to know them better. There are a lot of terrific people in film and television. They can give you inside information you can't get elsewhere and create opportunities your agent cannot.  (And you can do the same for them.)

Besides, my ego needs no "fans," and lets face it, how many of us - beyond an upper echelon of a few thousand actors - actually have them? Hah!  #KathrynBrowning


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!