Monday, January 20, 2014

Acting Tips: Going with your instincts in directing your career

From time to time people will ask me what I do to advance myself as an actress, or what do I do to get auditions, or how I organize my day to hit all the agency bases, or....whatever.

The question "What do you do to......?" is the one that
For non-linear thinkers, explanations  can be tough.
causes absolute panic, because it asks for a linear explanation: "Well I wanted to achieve this so I did this, and then I did that, and then I did this other thing, and Voila! Pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!"

The problem is that in a world of largely linear thinkers, I am one who is not. My thoughts contain random bits of information that travel in totally unconnected orbits around my head. No one bit relates directly to any other bit, but from time to time they connect and make sense in the center....in my head....resulting in sudden insights that I couldn't possibly explain.

People like me can have an intuitive understanding of a thing or process and yet be utter disasters at explaining how they arrived at their conclusion. Take Melanie Griffith's character in Working Girl: "Trask...radio, Trask...radio." Everyone looks at her like she's an idiot!

Non-linear thinking can lead to great success if you have the confidence to go with your gut. But in a world that often demands that thoughts and people travel in a straight line, that takes courage, especially when the result likely has you swimming against a tide of people heading in the other direction.

I've been thinking about this lately because I've been sampling David Patrick Green's HackHollywood website. Aha! A kindred spirit! Good things there, but a tough slog to read because he struggles to organize and convey his thoughts.  More on that later.

The point I would make is to be open to those little bits of information that help to illuminate a process. They will help you in your auditions, in advancing your career, in choosing where to put your money.  #KathrynBrowning

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!