Saturday, September 8, 2012

Opening in the Pulitzer/Tony-Winning J.B.

For friends in the DC area, I open Friday in the Archibald MacLeish Pulitzer/Tony-winning play "J.B."for The American Century Theater.  Special deals going on. Goldstar and Ticketplace both have 1/2 price tickets available for all performances. Also two Pay What You Can performances on Thursday Sept 13 (a preview) and Wed. Sept 19 (a full performance). It's a thought-provoking play, not surprisingly. Steve Lebens and Bruce Rauscher are terrific as God and the Devil. I have a small supporting role, but come 20 minutes early for the pre-show Clown Reverie and you'll see me do a turn as the Bearded Lady. I'm searching prop and party shops for a cigar to add (as if the beard wasn't enough!)

Doing is the best classroom, as the saying goes, and I find that I learn a lot from watching more experienced stage actors at their craft. Also, as Michael Caine advises, stealing whatever works.   The role of Mrs. Lesure calls for me to express serenity and faith in the midst of disaster - not easy for an ants-in-the-pants actress, such as myself.  I'm having to tap into a lot of inner stillness.  It's still a work in progress, but I find moments when I am so overcome by emotion that get a catch in my throat and tears in my eyes.   (And to think I used to have a hard time crying.)

I love the camaraderie of stage work.  The nervousness early on, struggling to get a sense of your character and wondering if the play will ever come together...and then it does.  A playfulness develops back stage, if only because we're so on top of each other trying to change into costumes and put on make-up. No shy bunnies here.....away we go!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!