Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My favorite things....and Lesley Manville

Being handed a bouquet of yellow roses on opening night has me thinking about all of my favorite things.  Cashmere sweaters in cerulean blue.  My husband, who is like a part of me.  Luxury accommodations on a cruise to anywhere. Mallomars (yum). And British actress Lesley Manville. The woman whose incredibly sensitive face is an inspiration for all that I do, both on stage and on film.

Lesley Manville in Another Year
One wonderful thing about not being a principal in the play J.B. is that the pressure is off to carry the production.  I can relax and concentrate on making the most of a small role; one of the most important being to let the tension go out of my face and body so that I can react truthfully to what is going on around me and inside me.

The role I play in J.B. is purely reactive - part of an ensemble of women whose purpose is to comment on the events transpiring center stage.  Some actors would take a purely mechanical approach to that, cueing off a word of dialog to turn this way or look at that cast member.  But I've been allowing myself to relax and get completely in the moment,  so that I can move and react not when I think I should but when it feels natural and right.  I guess one way would be an intellectual approach and the other an emotional approach.  In any case, I like what's happening as a result.

At the end of Mike Leigh's Another Year, the camera settles on Lesley Manville's face and the emotions she conveys are just gut-wrenching. In one fleeting moment her character drops her defenses and tells you absolutely everything about her life.  I don't think I've ever seen another actress who can do that. Sheesh, I should be so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!