Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Well I survived the Stonehenge Film Auditions in Baltimore. I didn't forget any lines and I did okay. I started getting a frog in my throat midway into my monologue, but managed to get rid of it without having to visibly clear my throat. Also managed to keep stress to a reasonable level.

The auditions were held a small black box theatre. There were about 60 people from 35 production companies in the audience sitting on risers (a record number). Basically the only light was on the person doing the audition, but nobody watched the person; instead, everyone watched each audition projected onto a large screen. Most of the production companies were no pay/deferred pay. But about 6-8 did Screen Actors Guild low-budget productions and 2 paid SAG scale rates. There was also a casting director who has cast extras and supporting roles for major films. That was interesting.

The organizers from Team Jabberwocky brought us in to audition in groups of five and we had to perform a monologue suitable for TV or film that was not more than 90 seconds long. It went very fast! When each group finished up, all of the production company reps applauded. Then we were marched back into the theatre lobby and everyone there applauded. The organizers did that for every group. It was a nice stress breaker actually because every person who had just auditioned was thinking “Whew! Thank God that’s over!”

I ran into two actors I know. One was in the group before mine and the other in the group. I'd say of those I saw waiting to audition about 80 percent were twenty/thirty-somethings and 20 percent were over 40.

Although the specification was for monologues "suitable for TV or film" the ones I saw were overwhelmingly stage monologues, which meant mine looked very different and very abbreviated. We'll see if that turns out to be a plus or a minus. The young woman after me was very, very good. Glad she didn't go before me.

Anyway, glad I did it and glad it's over. It was a 90-minute drive each way. I got up at 6:30 a.m. and left the house at 11 for a 2:30 p.m. slot because I was afraid I'd get stuck in traffic. By the time I got home at 4:30 I was just dead. The auditions should be posted to YouTube by mid-July.

Despite the stress of auditioning for such a crowd I’m already planning a new monologue for the next Stonehenge Auditions, coming up on September 26th and also in Baltimore. This time I’m hoping to present a softer, gentler character to show some range. Will also use a different headshot.

For now my summer is busy days, nights, and weekends. Just wrapped on the hotel anti-terrorism video for the Dept. of Homeland Security. It was shot at the Wardman Park Marriott here in DC and I play “Grace,” who runs the gift shop next to the coffee shop where a bomb has been planted. (I love anti-terrorism videos!) Also voiced a conference video package for the School Nutrition Association. Tonight I’m meeting with the wardrobe person for the web series – Orange Juice in Bishop’s Garden - that’s about to start shooting Season Three. Sunday I have read-through with the writer on a Sci-Fi animated short where I’ll be voicing the Artificial Intelligence character. Then on June 26th I drive up to Philadelphia to audition for a narrator part on another short film. Despite all the voice work, my goal is still a dozen on-camera roles by the end of the year. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!