Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Loving and Learning from Film

I'm one of those who thinks that to succeed as an actor you have to live, breathe, and love film. You should swoon over lighting and close-ups. Marvel at the honesty in a moment's expression. After awhile you'll get a feel for what makes a scene work and, if it doesn't, why.

I just finished reading author/screenwriter William Goldman's wonderful book Which Lie Did I Tell?, which is a sequel to his equally wonderful Adventures in the Screen Trade. If you want a behind-the-scenes look at how Hollywood works, from the screenwriter's perspective, these two are a great place to start.

Move on to Hollywood biographies and autobiographies. Budd Schulberg's Moving Pictures (and his novel What Makes Sammy Run?) Michael Caine's What's It All About? Alec Guiness's Blessings in Disguise. Michael Korda's Charmed Lives. So many others. Inspiring stories of struggle and providence and luck. I've read that Bette Midler is a collector of Hollywood biographies. So am I.

Tonight I'm indulging in two of my favorite films about the movie business. Robert Altman's brilliant 1992 film The Player and George Huang's 1994 film Swimming With Sharks. Huang's is darker and edgier. Altman's more fun. Gripping without ever making you dislike any one character.

If you haven't seen these films, here's a peek at both.




Check out the commentary and special features. You'll learn a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!