Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Consider The Magic of Believing

An actor friend sent me an interview clip of comedienne Phyllis Diller recently where she mentions Claude Bristol's 1948 book The Magic of Believing. Miller said the book had completely changed her life by giving a suburban housewife and mother of five the courage and determination to try stand-up comedy, which is no easy road for anyone.

Here is an audio synopsis of the book from YouTube. It's a little "woo-woo" perhaps, like books on Nostrodamus, but I also found it interesting. I grew up hearing my father talk about the "power of positive thinking" and it also reminds me that those who succeed in this business aren't necessarily the ones who are most talented but those with the most desire. As author/screenwriter William Goldman put it, you have to want success more than anything in the world.

Here Bristol seems to be saying that wanting something, and having the confidence and unshakable belief that you will get it, makes it happen. Call it God, call it The Force or whatever, there is something that connects us all that we humans can tap into. Moreover if you can visualize what you want, what success looks like - and the greater detail in your vision the better - the more likely you are to achieve it.

He cautions, however, not to share your vision of success, because to do so opens you up to the naysayers who tell you it won't happen, it won't work, and you're silly to even want such a thing. Stay focused. Keep it in your heart.

As I said, it's a little "woo-woo," but I have also found that in times of crisis, when I am most focused on finding a solution, someone with the answer seems to appear out of nowhere. So maybe there is something to Mr. Bristol's book after all although, as a Catholic, when things work out I always remember to give a heartfelt "Thank God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!