Sunday, May 19, 2013

Finding the perfect monologue

I've been looking for a new monologue, and although there are plenty out there, even plenty of obscure monologues out there, it's unclear what makes an appropriate monologue....for me.

I've read enough about auditioning to know that no casting director wants to see a piece they've seen done a million times. I want them to focus on my talent and personality, not be sitting there thinking, "Oh no, not this again."

I also need to avoid over-long memory monologues (When I was a little girl growing up on the farm in Kansas....) or monologues intended to shock (swearing, screaming, crying, engaging in repulsive acts). I once saw a quite beautiful actress perform a monologue that involved a detailed analysis of picking her nose. It was grim.

But I recently came across an otherwise so-so book called 10 Steps to Breaking into Acting that contained a good definition of the perfect monologue, and I think this is the place to start. Here it is:

  • A good monologue is one where your character is urgently going after something that he or she needs right now. It is active and alive, powerful and conversational, and engages the listener quickly and effectively.
  • It has a beginning, middle, and an end.
  • Your character goes through the journey in 1-2 minutes tops.
  • It reflects your age and type.

The standard advice is to have four monologues memorized and ready - two for theater and two for film - but I rarely find a monologue being asked for at a film audition, only for casting agency open calls. I have one that still works for agency open calls, so I'll be looking for one that encourages projection. 

2 comments:

  1. For agency open calls, did you use a film or theater monologue? I'm going on one very soon and I'm not sure which one is appropriate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George! For a specific project - like House of Cards, the Open Call is often just to get a look at the actor in person - no monologue required. The call to audition is then based on the actor's resume and reels. For general agency Open Calls, the rule is to pick a monologue from the genre you hope to book - film for film, theatre for theatre. With both, look for a piece that hits a middle ground; i.e. from a reasonably successful film or play, but not a piece widely associated with a particular actor. (You don't want the auditor comparing your performance to how Al Pacino did it, for example.) The piece should have a definite beginning, middle, and end, and should NOT shock. You want the auditor to like you. Good luck! Kay

      Delete

I will get back to you shortly!