Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sadly, Hugo disappoints

I really looked forward to seeing Martin Scorcese's film Hugo because Scorcese is a terrific director and the film was getting great buzz online and in the papers. A lot of people like this film. Last night I saw it and, sadly, I did not.  Boo. To begin with, it's not a film for children, it's a film in which children appear.  It gets long and talky, which kids have no patience for (even for adults it could have been 20 minutes shorter), and Sacha Baron Cohen is allowed a running aside to another character that is inappropriate for children to hear.

But the killer for me is that it goes from a film about action happening to the main character (OMG a little boy is lost and in peril!!!) to a film about something that happened to Ben Kingley's character years ago (the old man fell on hard times career-wise and is just distraught about it.) At that point it loses its magic.

Films are about ACTION, as Viki King points out in her book on writing screenplays.   Plus, when Kingley's story is presented as the "mystery" the plot as been building toward, and the focus shifts to him, my reaction was "What?  THAT's all it is?!"  What about the kid?!  Oliver Twist is about Oliver Twist!  David Copperfield is about David Copperfield!  Harry Potter is about Harry Potter! Halfway into Hugo, the little boy's story goes away and the film becomes a college seminar on the origins of filmmaking.  No, no, no.

It wasted wonderful name actors, like Emily Mortimer and Jude Law, in under-five-line roles that could have just as easily gone to lesser known character actors who needed the work.  It brings in characters, like the bookseller, played by Christopher Lee, and then goes nowhere with them.  It indulges in gratuitous camera shots (the overhead in the book store, the revolves around people when they're talking) that distract the viewer from the dialogue and lose the intimacy of the moment.

That said, Hugo has a rich and breathtakingly beautiful look we don't often see in films.  It moves seamlessly between real characters and CGI.  And Asa Butterfield, the boy who plays Hugo, is captivating and a delight to watch.

And this review is why my kids don't like going to the movies with me.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked it myself. I saw it in 3D and hadn't seen 3D in years, so that part fascinated me. I loved the story, however.

    Which reminds me that this new movie about September 11 with Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock made me think of Hugo as they are previewing it, telling us about the key the boy found which leads to something we learn about his father. Just like in Hugo.

    I haven't read the blogs I follow for some time. I see that you are busy. I always hope that I will see you in something as I peruse the television and movie world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Hugo WAS gorgeous to look at and I confess that 10 minutes into the film I was settling into my theater seat thinking, "Wow, this is gonna be GREAT!" For me it almost was, but perhaps I nitpick.

    Let me know what you think of the Bullock/Hanks movie. It's not at the top of my list so I may not see it until it comes out on Netflix.

    As for roles, I am spending Pilot Season (late January through the end of April) submitting for roles on established series. Bigger stars are holding out for the pilots so it turns out that's a good time for getting noticed by casting directors on the "old" shows. Success in acting, like success in just about any profession, takes about 10 years. I'm about 4 years in (and progressing nicely, thank you!)

    All the best, Kay.

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!