Thursday, May 12, 2011

WSJ Does the Math on a Hit TV Show

One reason I've been a whirling dervish the past few weeks - drafting agency letters, ordering prints, auditioning, joining AFTRA, wrapping projects on my day job, shooting concept scenes for Rob Raffety's comedy "Capitol South" (Rob is a very funny guy by the way, with a touch of Jean Shepherd in his approach to comedy) - is that I'm heading for Bermuda on Saturday for a few days of "hey, no worries."  Funny how you have to knock yourself out to "arrange" break time.

But sitting here this morning sipping my tea I spotted this piece in the Wall Street Journal by Amy Chozick on how a concept for a television show (example: "Dark but fantastical cop drama about about a world in which characters inspired by Grimm's Fairy Tales exist.") makes it to the screen (if it does.)  One of the many things I love about the Journal is its coverage of the business side of the entertainment industry.  One quote: "The stakes are so high you can pretty much put the corporate freak-out on the calendar."  Too many cooks, not surprisingly.  The ratings keep going down.  The cable competition gets more intense.  Interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!