Sunday, February 13, 2011

Standouts in Barney's Version

Up early again. Wrapping on my audio demo this week. I already have individual clips posted to my website - one of those things I've been meaning to do since forever.  I've voiced a lot of industrials and want to move on to commercials this year.  Also trying to call in some clips for my video demo reel.  I'll be working with editor Corey Petree on how to best arrange them. (It's an art for sure.) The video demo won't be posted to my website though, just sent out with submissions and on request to talent and casting agencies.

Wonderful dream last night. I was part of a cast remaking one of the Thin Man films at MGM studios (I was doing Myrna Loy's part, of course). I was rehearsing a close-up with the "William Powell" actor over and over. (Great fun!) Then a buzz goes through the cast that Michael Caine is on the set. I hold back, not wanting to appear a groupie, but later eye his upstairs office windows, which amazingly enough are just a few doors down from where we are shooting. Only I realize now that the offices in the dream were actually MGM producer Irving Thalberg's old offices. When you study film a lot of old scenes and photos get mixed up in your head. The great thing about dreams though is you're always the star.
Minnie Driver and the short guys

Saw Barney's Version last night at the art house theatre. Very interesting. I liked it. Paul Giamatti is consistently terrific, but the knockout was Minnie Driver, another tall woman (5'10") who doesn't seem to have trouble getting roles paired with short guys. God, she is fabulous! That jawline of hers is so unique and her personality on camera is so "out there." I love watching her. I added her to my Yellow Pages List down at right.

Rachelle LeFevre
The other standout was Rachelle LeFevre, who appears briefly at the beginning of the film. The role didn't give her a lot to work with, but she's gritty and her strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes are really striking.  Let's hope she stays off the "This Year's Interchangeable Blonde" List."  That means having the guts to choose roles that have you looking like hell on camera, but acting up a storm. (Compare Marion Cotillard in La Vie en Rose with her role in Inception, where she's basically a pretty prop.)  In Barney's Version LeFevre reminded me of Courtney Love in Man on the Moon.  I wanted to see more of her on screen.

The flaw in the film - and I remember this being the flaw in Dustin Hoffman's old film Tootsie as well - is having the central character leave a really rather interesting woman (Driver) because he has fallen head over heels, love at first sight, for a woman who is lovely and bland (a "bland tomato," as Greer Garson sneers in Adventure.)  I don't understand that.  Are some men really that shallow?

Argghhh.  Thinking of those elusive film clips again.  (!!##**!!!)  Okay, that's over with.  I'm moving.

2 comments:

  1. I've only seen your photos posted here on your blog, but I can see you in the Myrna Loy part of the Thin Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Myrna Loy! She and William Powell had such chemistry on screen and were great friends apparently. They each had multiple unhappy marriages to others (and his great love had been Jean Harlow, who died so young.) I always wondered why they didn't marry.

    ReplyDelete

I will get back to you shortly!