Sunday, May 19, 2013

Open Call

Up at 5:30 a.m. yesterday to fix my hair and make-up, put a suit on, step into high heels, and drive nearly two hours to the Armory in Bel Air, Maryland, for an Open Call for day players and extras. This was for Season 2 of the Netflix series House of Cards, and I was only one of many who'd had a long trek in. The actor behind me in line had driven four and a half hours from Pittsburgh. Fortunately the staff at Kimberly Skyrme Casting had the drill down pat, and union actors were ushered in first. In and out in 20 minutes. Hundreds more non-union actors showed up and had a longer wait.

I'd already submitted for this series online and pointed out in writing that I frequently play members of Congress, lobbyists, judges, etc., but there is something to be said for letting the casting people see you in person and having a minute to chat. A plus was that the guy checking us in recognized me from Meghan Reynolds film The Monopoly Club, where I played a Senator, and had lots of good things to say about the film and me. (Always good to hear.) I introduced myself and got his name for future reference. Saw a lot of people in line that I knew and met a few new ones.  Then the long drive home and a nap.

Kimberly Skyrme Casting throws a wide net for actors on this series. Hoping for a part with lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I will get back to you shortly!